Pay attention; Give the speaker your undivided attention and acknowledge the message. Recognize that what is not said also speaks loudly.
* Look at the speaker directly.
* Do not think about yourself.
* Put aside distracting thoughts. Don’t mentally prepare a rebuttal!
* Avoid being distracted by environmental factors.
* “Listen” to the speaker’s body language.
* Refrain from side conversations when listening.
Show that you are listening; Use your own body language and gestures to convey your attention.
* Nod occasionally.
*Smile and use other facial expressions.
* Note your posture and make sure it is open and inviting.
* Encourage the speaker to continue with small verbal comments.